Some couples ask me about wedding hymns because they want to incorporate a wedding hymn or two in their wedding.
There are a few ways to accomplish this:
- It can be as simple as having the organist or other musician play your chosen hymn(s) in the prelude.
- Some couples opt to have a soloist sing a hymn. This is often done right before the processional begins (as the last song in the prelude) or during the ceremony----perhaps right after a prayer or during the lighting of the unity candle.
- Another option is to have the congregation sing the hymn just as they do in a church service. This can be a nice touch. It allows your guests to be actively involved in your wedding and can impart a sense of unity.Also, besides giving the guests a chance to stretch their legs a bit, it affords the bridal party a few moments of "breathing room"! For example, perhaps the bride or groom needs a tissue or has a quick question or comment for the clergy/officiant. Such things are best accomplished while the congregation is busy!
Tip: Unless the hymn is very short, don't ask your guests to sing a kabillion verses! Remember, you and your bridal party have to stand there!
If a hymn has 5 or 6 verses, try choosing 2-3 verses that have the most meaning to you or that are the most appropriate for a wedding. You can have your chosen verses printed in your wedding program.
Tip: You will get a better congregational response if you choose a hymn that has a familiar tune!
Wedding Hymns List
Below are some hymns to consider. Your organist and/or church hymnal are other excellent sources for wedding hymns.
As you'll notice, some hymns below are listed twice. When this is the case, the arrangements are different and the instrument featured is listed in parenthesis.
- All Creatures Of Our God And King (Piano)
- All Creatures Of Our God And King (Guitar)
- All Things Bright And Beautiful (Organ)
- All Things Bright and Beautiful (Piano)
- Amazing Grace (Piano)
- Amazing Grace (String Trio)
- As Man And Woman We Were Made
- Be Thou My Vision
- Bind Us Together (Instrumental)
- Bind Us Together (Vocal)
- Blest Be The Tie That Binds
- Blest Be The Dear Uniting Love
- Day By Day
- God Of Our Life
- Great Is Thy Faithfulness
- Happy Is The Home When God Is There (Text 1976)
- Help Us To Help Each Other
- Jesus, Joy Of Our Desiring (Melody: Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring)
- Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee (Organ) (Melody: Ode To Joy)
- Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee (Instrumental)
- Love Divine, All Loves Excelling (Piano)
- May The Grace Of Christ Our Savior
- Now Thank We All Our God (Organ)
- Now Thank We All Our God (Piano)
- O Lord, May Church And Home Combine (Melody: In Christ There Is No East Or West)
- O Love That Will Not Let Me Go (Piano)
- O Love That Will Not Let Me Go (Choir)
- O Master Let Me Walk With Thee
- O Perfect Love (Choir)
- O Perfect Love (Piano)
- Praise To The Lord, The Almighty
- Savior, Like A Shepherd Lead Us
- The Bond Of Love (1971--Otis Shilling)
- The King Of Love My Shepherd Is
- The Gift Of Love (s/a When Love Is Found) (Melody: Water is Wide)
- Where Charity And Love Prevail (Melody: In Christ There Is No East or West
Also, if you are looking for general hymn CDs, consider the following 2 very popular ones:
A Brief Aside Here...
- Although not music, there is an interesting book entitled Inviting God to Your Wedding & Keeping God in Your Marriage written by Martha Williamson, who is probably best known for producing the TV show "Touched By An Angel". Amidst all of the hubbub of wedding planning, some find this book to be helpful.
Return to Wedding-Songs-Galore from Wedding Hymns